Things to mention and discuss¶
When do disks go away?¶
- never on reboot;
- ephemeral disks go away on stop;
- AMI-attached volumes go away on terminate;
- attached volumes never go away on terminate and have to be explicitly deleted;
- snapshots only go away when you explicitly delete them.
What are you charged for?¶
- you are charged for a running instance at the @@instance price rates;
- ephemeral storage/instance-specific storage is included within that.
- when you stop an instance, you are charged at disk-space rates for the stopped disk;
- when you create a volume, you are charged for that volume until you delete it;
- when you create a snapshot, you are charged for that snapshot until you delete it.
To make sure you’re not getting charged, go to your Instance view and clear all search filters; anything that is “running” or “stopped” is costing you. Also check your volumes and your snapshots - they should be empty.
Regions vs zones:¶
- AMIs and Snapshots (and keys and security groups) are per region;
- Volumes and instances are per zone;